The byline for this nice website is “How do numbers affect everyday decisions?” The site explains how math can help us make important decisions and perform everyday tasks. The language of numbers will also show up in common situations that we may all face when you’re trying to get things done. The treatments of all topics are done very well and can be used for Teacher Resources or Student Projects. Some of the topics covered:
- Statistics and Probability
- Savings, Credit, and Managing Your Credit Cards
- Buying vs. Leasing a New Car – Rates of Interest
- Population Growth (exponential study)
- Put Your Money to Work – Simple vs. Compound Interest
- Communicating Data Visually – Charts and Graphs
- Home Decorating – Areas of Rectangles and Circles
- Cooking by Numbers – Ratio and Proportion
- The Metric System and Conversions from Metric to U.S. Measurement
- Mathematics, the Universal Language Shared by All Human Beings
There is also a rich source of Related Materials. The website materials from Math in Daily Life are inspired by programs from the text For All Practical Purposes: Mathematical Literacy in Today’s World.
To receive all new posts – subscribe via email or RSS Web Feed.