Reasons to Incorporate Language in a Mathematics Class:
- Just as computers use an operating system to function, language is the operating system of our brains.
- Simply stated, to speak or write well is to think well.
- Both oral and written language are effective in increasing depth of understanding.
- It is probably a much better investment of a teacher’s time to look at a writing sample as an assessment than to look at a homework paper.
- Language takes students to a deeper level
- Language shows us what students are thinking
- Helps teachers correct misunderstandings
- Brain uses language to process information
Grading Student Writing versus Correcting Homework
Let’s face it, correcting homework papers is boring. There are even more reasons why this task is not the best use of our time:
- Wrong answers don’t tell teachers what students don’t understand.
- Correct answers don’t tell what students do understand.
- Some students use calculators, and others don’t.
- Some parents help with homework, others don’t.
- Students often copy homework.
- Dogs eat homework.